To the Swiss Federal Parliament,
To the Swiss Federal Council,
To the Presidency of the World Economic Forum (WEF)
A Historic Session of the World Economic Forum in Davos on 17th January 2017 on Human Rights, Environment Protection and International Labour Standards
Mr. Jürg Stahl,
Honorable President of the Swiss Parliament,
Mrs. Doris Leuthard, Honorable President of the Swiss Confederation,
Mr. Klaus Schwab,
Honorable WEF President,
As Swiss citizens we have the pleasure to extend our congratulations to you for being able to convince the President of the People’s Republic of China (PRC), Mr. Xi Jinping, to accept the invitation to be officially hosted in Switzerland and to speak at the next session of the World Economic Forum in Davos, an organization enjoying the diplomatic status in Switzerland according to an Accord de siège.
We should remind ourselves of the Preamble of the Swiss Federal Constitution that provides us important guiding principles how we should act as a people and government in our national and international undertakings:
a) “[…] resolved to renew their alliance so as to strengthen liberty, democracy, independence and peace in a spirit of solidarity and openness toward the world […]”;
b) “[…] and in the knowledge that only those who use their freedom remain free and that the strength of a people is measured by the well-being of its weakest members […]”.
As Swiss citizens we have the honor to exercise our right of petition as foreseen in Article 33 of the Swiss Federal Constitution, and to use this extraordinary occasion of dialogue between the highest authorities of the Swiss Confederation and the WEF presidency on one hand, and President Xi Jinping on the other hand, to achieve the objectives described in the following chapters:
I. Measures Concerning the Laogai System
1. To announce at the 2017 WEF session in Davos all adequate and necessary measures in order to authorize the delegates foreseen by the UN Convention against torture and by the UN Protocol to prevent any kind of inhuman treatment and torture, to visit the thousands of forced labor camps in the People’s Republic of China, where approximately two million men and women are forced to work without being sentenced by any kind of judicial authority;
2. To announce at the 2017 WEF session in Davos any other adequate measures in order to establish an official system to certify the origins of all items produced by people detained in the above mentioned labor camps, in order to allow consumers abroad to ascertain if they buy items produced by that kind of prisoners under such kind of violations of human rights and international labour standards (developed by the ILO).
II. Measures Concerning the Protection of Environment and Natural Resources
3. To announce at the 2017 WEF session in Davos the launch of a diplomatic international conference in Davos under the patronage of the Swiss Confederation and of the WEF presidency with the participation of all concerned Asian countries, in order to agree about the protection of the natural resources and the equitable use of water from the Tibetan Plateau, which will not be detrimental for the people living on the Tibetan Plateau and in the neighboring countries;
4. To announce at the 2017 WEF session in Davos an unilateral moratorium on all initiatives concerning the use of the water resources of the Tibetan Plateau, which could be detrimental for the water supplies of the neighboring countries and populations.
III. Freedom of Expression for Journalists, Internet and
5. To announce at the 2017 WEF session in Davos the launch of a diplomatic international conference under the patronage of the WEF presidency between the government of China on one hand, and on the other hand all the most important social media corporations, in order to guarantee the broadest freedom of access to the Internet and the use of social media, which will be in favor of the population within the territory of the People’s Republic of China and within any other territory under control of the People’s Republic of China, such as Tibet;
6. To announce at the 2017 WEF session in Davos a general amnesty for all journalists detained in China and in Hong Kong for freely expressing their opinion.
IV. Free Movement of People
7. To announce at the 2017 WEF session in Davos the immediate issue and/or restitution of passport to all women and men living in the territory of the People’s Republic of China, particularly in the territory of Xinjiang, where the Uyghurs live, and to the Tibetans, living in Tibet as well as in neighboring Chinese provinces.
V. Monastic Settlement of
8. To announce at the 2017 WEF session in Davos the immediate stop of all kinds of works aiming at restructuring or destroying the Tibetan monastery of Larung Gar.
VI. Corporate Social Responsibility within the Execution of the Free Trade Agreement Ratified between the People’s Republic of China and Switzerland on 6th July 2013
9. The Corporate Social Responsibility strategy, shared among the most important corporations in Switzerland and in several other countries, is achieving very important goals. In order to allow these thousands of corporations to guarantee that their activities, products and commercialization will not be detrimental to the respect of human rights worldwide and of the ILO standards, the Swiss government and the presidency of WEF will announce at the 2017 WEF session in Davos the establishment of an international agency informing these corporations worldwide, which Chinese corporations comply with the human rights, environmental principles and with the ILO standards according to the so called Ruggie Principles;
10. Such an international agency has to be set up particularly in order to facilitate the Swiss government and the Swiss corporations to collect the information about the compliance with the human rights and ILO standards, in compensation of the lacking clauses and references to human rights and ILO standards within the Free Trade Agreement ratified between Switzerland and the People’s Republic of China;
11. Reminding the promises made by the Swiss government towards the Swiss parliament, in order to get its consent to ratify the above mentioned Free Trade Agreement between Switzerland and the People’s Republic of China, the Swiss government will inform the 2017 WEF session in Davos about the results of the dialogue implemented between the high Swiss authorities and the high Chinese authorities, about the progress within the People’s Republic of China concerning the abolition of the death penalty as well as the protection of human rights, including the principle of Freedom of Information, to be guaranteed to all journalists and to social media.
Knowing that these issues are of great interest and concern for every woman and man of good will worldwide, we inform you that we will diffuse this petition, in order to give the Swiss government, the participants to the 2017 World Economic Forum in Davos and the public opinion, the possibility to be informed about the initiatives taken concerning the above mentioned issues, which are vital for the survival of the fundamental Principles of Humanity in solidarity with all the oppressed people in the world.
With our best regards.